Pages

Tuesday 15 September 2020

engish work

 Important parts of this question are Describe and Explain. 

















Goal: Write a paragraph together describing a character and using a quote. 


Ellie is an important character…

Leader, makes important decisions, brave, good ideas, respectful, she is the narrator  

One of the important moments for Ellie is When she returns home to a different world. After a camping trip in ‘Hell’ Ellie and her friends arrive back to empty homes. She is scared and confused by the fact that everyone is gone. She becomes distraught when she realises that her dogs have been attacked.  


  • Blowing up the soldiers - guilt, emotional trama, 

  • Taking charge - leadership, bravery, cares about her friends 

  • Mental breakdown - sad, aggravated, scared and worried - dealing with consequences 

  • Questions the morality - thinking, processing 

  • Returning to home - scared, confused, lost her innocence

  • Helps rescue Lee - compassionate, 

  • She tells chris off for falling asleep during sentry duty. 

This is a key moment because Ellie realises that there might be a war on. The impact of this moment is the realisation that something very serious has taken place. 

This moment shows the reader that Ellie is understanding that something larger has begun. Ellie’s reaction makes the reader think about war and invasion and how we would react in similar circumstances. 


  • Reaction to the pets dying, concerned because her parents would take care of the animals, parents have not planned this. 

How does Ellie change from the beginning of the story to the end? 


Discuss how each quote could be used?


  • “At that stage I still hadn’t come to terms with what had happened. That's not surprising. We knew so little. All we had were clues, guesses, surmises”pg 78-9


  • “For the first time I saw their faces; then I struck the match” pg 90


  • “It was hard for me to believe that I, plain old Ellie, nothing special about me, middle of the road in every way, had probably just killed three people” pg 95


  • “Although we’d worked out a route and agreed on it I decided I was no longer bound by majority vote: circumstances had changed.” p 143


  • “Demonic figures ran screaming from me, I felt skulls crush under my feet. Burning bodies stretched out their hands begging for mercy.” pg 163


  • “All I could think of to do was to trust to instinct. That was all I had really. Human laws, moral laws, religious laws, they all seemed artificial and basic, almost childlike.” (pg 217)


A quote that shows Ellie’s (trait) is… 




Step One- For your Statement you need to state the key moment, character, challenge, idea you wish to discuss as part of the larger story.  


Step Two- Then you need to describe the Example for the reader (remember they have not read the book so you need to give detail so they can follow your argument). 


Step Three- Then you need to Explain the  importance or meaning of this event/challenge/idea/or character in relation to the story.


Step Four- Then you need to Explain the EFFECT  of this on you as a reader. - this requires a response from you - how it made you feel, why this challenged you, why this is important for others to know about. 


Step Five- You can then link your ideas to your main argument, to another moment in the film or to the wider context. - reflect on the story as a whole. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.