Pages

Wednesday 14 October 2020

Tomorrow when the war began chapter 22

 


Read through Chapter 22. Use the words in bold to fill in the blanks.

‘Well, we were pretty desprate. We knew you’d be sitting there, in a lot of danger , waiting for a signal that wasn’t going to come. We got close to panic at that point, I guess. We had two choices – to go ahead with the cattle and hope you’d be able to react in time, or to call it off. But we couldn’t call it off without telling you – that would have left you in an impossible situation. That was a weakness in our planning – we relied too much on the walkie-talkies. That’s one thing I’ve learnt – don’t put too much trust in machines.’ P. 275

React, desperate, danger, trust, cattle, relied, signal, left, panic


Kevin was sitting against an old woolpress that was up against the wall. Crouched beside him was Robyn, with one hand on his shoulder. Chris was standing on his other side, looking down at Corrie. Corrie was lying across Kevin’s lap. Her eyes were closed and her head was back and there was no colour in her face. As I stood there Kevin and Chris and Robyn all turned their faces towards me, but Corrie still didn’t open her eyes. I couldn’t move. It was as though I too had joined the tableau. Then Kevin said, ‘She’s been shot Ellie’. P.280

colour, standing, lying, joined, against, closed, turned


No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.