Pages

Tuesday 13 October 2020

Tomorrow, When the war began chapter 20

 


Read through Chapter 20. Use the words in bold to fill in the blanks.

I was a bit nervous being paired with Fi, I must admit. There was no way I was ever

going to be a hero, but at least I was used to doing outdoors,practical things, and I

suppose that gives you a bit of confidence . P. 255

practical, nervous, confidence, least, admit


She gasped just one word: ‘Patrol’, and together we went over a low fence into

someone’s front garden. There was a huge old gum tree right in front of us. I was

so nervous that it seemed to be the only thing I could see. My eyes and mind focused

entirely on it; nothing else existed for me at that moment. I climbed it like a possum,

scratching my hands but not feeling any pain. Fi followed. I got about three metres up

before I heard voices from the corner, which slowed me down, made me quieter, more

cautious. I inched out along a branch to take a look. I didn’t know if getting up here

had been a mistake or not. I remembered Dad, one day when he’d put a big ugly patch

on a hole in the leaves that possums had made, saying ‘The human eye doesn’t look

above its own height’. At this moment in my life I sure hoped he was right. The trouble

was that if they did see us we’d be, not like possums up a tree, but like rats up a drainpipe.

There was no escape from here. P. 262

Fence, gasped, inched, cautious, possum, existed, escape, trouble, ugly, voices,

focused


No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.